View Single Post
Old 30-08-2007, 07:03 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Pinky at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
have you driven the new wrx yet?
OK I had a very brief drive of the MY08 WRX last night (was riding shotgun with a mate who is interested)

First impressions

The styling isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned, some of the details like the grille, front bumper and rear lights could be done better, but they don't really bother me, and they'll probably be fixed for MY09 if enough whingeing goes on.

The actual surfacing of the panels is nicely done, the guards flare out very subtly and the rear diffuser is also well done.. Importantly, the wheels sit nicely in their guards...

Engine has a lot of low - midrange. Didn't really get into the upper reaches but it's redlined at 6500 as opposed to 7000. I've never even been in a 2.5 WRX before so that may be just a facet of the 2.5.
Progressive acceleration with no real feeling of 'coming on boost' but it still gives you a reasonable shove in the back for a stockie..

Suspension handles bumps really well, turn in and steering at road speeds feels sharp. It seems to roll a bit more than a stock GC8 but not annoyingly so.. I would compare it to a sportier version of something like the Honda Accord Euro, which initially feels soft at slow speed, but has very nice handling at highway speeds...

Pedals are beautifully spaced, for easy heel and toeing. But the GD series also had nicely spaced pedals, so it's good that they haven't stuffed things up there..

Only a 5 speed still, but I noticed that it pulls OK from 60 kmh in 5th..

The lack of a 'typical' bonnet scoop and presence of door frames are a bit strange initially, but the car still 'feels' like a Subaru to drive..

Some minor dislikes about the dash layout as a passenger, but from the driver's seat, the wheel feels nicely sized and nice to grip, and it's easy to get comfortable in the car. Importantly, unlike a lot of new cars, there is good froward and side visibility, the pillars arent too thick and dont obstruct your forward visibility (The Current Honda Civic is a shocker in that aspect)

Bear in mind I only had a very brief drive but it seems interesting enough that I'd put it on my shopping list if I was serious about buying a car, although, like a lot of people, I would wait for the STi first...