Thread: 06 STi Mods
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
CAI = waste of money, unless you want more induction noise.

I'd be looking at better headers than Hypertec? If you are going to bother to do that, do it once, do it right. You do have to pay for quality unfortunately.
Is the CAI really a waste of money? If you said it'll give you fuck all power gain - I'd say yeah i'd agree with you.

If you're going a bigger turbo, ie - TD05/TD06 which is drawing significantly more air that stock, you're gonna wanna re-do the whole intake imho. Not only to reduce the restriction but also in an effort to breath cooler air and therefore go a little bit futher with the tune.

Yes it is probably gives you a marginal increase in power compared to other bang for your buck mods, but for me it was all about getting less restriction on the intake side and gaining access to much cooler air (5c nights in the hills FTW)

I guess if you're considering doing a CAI, you'd be wiser to complete the rest of the intake path and go with a silicone intake hose as well, as this is the bit you really want to replace, particulalry with larger turbo than stock. The OE Turbo intake is pretty shitty and is a slap in the face to your new turbo.

Just don't oil up the filter (i am not oiling mine at all) to avoid AFM problems. On that note my AFM is seemingly all good again now with no issues.