View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyRS
You miss my point entirely..... No shit that f1 spin to 19k.

My point is that if mobil1 can protect the most highly strung/stressed engines on the planet (F1) then running it in an EJ is a non issue.

Using Porsche as an example (because I know them inside out- it's my job).
All Porsche cars from 1960 onwards use mobil1 5w-50. That covers engines from 30hp air cooled 356's all the way through to the 400kw twin turbo 911 Gt2.

I don't consider a 30 hp 356 motor a 'performance' engine, but a turbo 911 or gt2 absolutely is.....completely different technology between those two extremes, Yet they run exactly the same oil.....Go figure!

Why 10,000 Km before switching over? 1000 Km I understand as it allows the rings to bed propery and prevents bore glazing.
What's the benefit of 10,000 km on mineral oil?

The explanation that full synthetic isnt good, but a semi-semi synthetic is a better option...

This was an explanation by micheal south...

"EJ's have a large bore, thin rings, and very low tension to reduce ring drag with there large bores, this reduces fuel consumption, but it can lead to bore glazing when using full syn oils.

You will find that a lot of new engine designs will be heading this way, just with ej's bore been so much bigger they have to run a lot less tension as larger bore makes for more ring drag, makes more friction, uses more fuel."

here is the thread:

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...ic=98569&st=20

Last edited by trainwrex; 09-01-2009 at 04:18 PM.