View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM
STI Master

agentorange at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz
Whatever your final choice regards brand, body and lenses, LEARN HOW TO USE A DSLR! There are as many differences with a P&S as there are similarities. RTFM many times over to get the most outta your DSLR, check google for good photography sites, even do a basic photography course which focuses on SLR (pardon the pun) if time & $$$ permit.

This way, you won't be someone who keeps the dial on Auto setting, hoping for the camera to do all the work, and never realising the full potential that an SLR has to offer.
Really fcuking scary that sort of stuff happens!!!

As for cams, everybody is going to recommend their fave brand...you need to go with what you think is best (brand wise) and choose something within your budget.

My recomendation would be a D80 and the 18-200 VR lens. The d80 is fairly cheap now and is a good camera. The 18-200 lens is good value for money and works fairly well in low light...it is also a versatile bit of kit. As people have said, get a prime ~f1.8 and a cam that does well with high ISO stuff if you're serious about shooting gigs!

Lastly, why is Ken Rockwell a knob...he seems to be fairly successful at what he does! He seems to have a decent fan base and fairly well respected from what I can see! Just curious?
My rhymes are stronger than ammonia
I'm a diamond, you're a cubic zirconia