Thread: FIFA World Cup
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2010, 11:33 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ACE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed View Post
2 world cups they got knocked out because they had players sent off so were forced to play with 10. They've choked in a few penalty shoot outs. But I wouldn't have said they had the best team. But now they are in the top 3 & have a good draw and have the 2nd best striker in the world.
2006 - Rooney Sent Off - Lose to Portugal on Penalties
2002 - Goalkeeper Error - Lose 2-1 to Brazil Seaman Lobbed by Ronaldinho from a mile out
1998 - Beckham Sent Off - Lose to Argentina on Penalties
1994 - Did not Qualify
1990 - Made the Semi Finals, Pearce and Waddle miss to lose on Penalties to the Germans
1986 - Go out to Argentina after Maradona scores the two most famous goals in World Cup History.

England have something in their favour for this world cup that they haven't had in any of the above. That is a professional Manager who will have his team well organised and disciplined going into this world cup. Apart from Beckham, England have no majeor injury concerns.

Spain if Torres is fit should be favourites. England are definately a contender as are the Germans and Italians. Also the French, Dutch, Brazilians and Argentines have all had average qualifying campaigns and have somewhat flown under the radar - you still can't write them off.

I'd expect the likes of Serbia, Portugal and maybe Denmark to make a good account of themselves, but none of these have the quality to go further than the QF. I can see Australia giving their best but to be honest I don't think they are good enough to get out of the group. Its the world cup though, so anything can happen!

Can't wait, this is the biggest show on Earth!