View Single Post
Old 29-06-2010, 09:00 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
It will be interesting to see how this project goes for reliablity to either prove or disprove the 'myths' of Subaru driveline strength.

I know my GD 5 speed took a hell of a load of punishment and just kept asking for more. There was no need for a 6 speed. R160 shafts didn't bust either, but I wasn't pushing bulk power.

For the motor side, is it an EJ255 in the WRX compared to a EJ257 in the STI? And is that like the EJ205 being open deck and the EJ207 being semi closed deck? I'm not sure if that has changed in the new models.

Fatboy, is there anything on the driveline you would want to upgrade prior to competition (R180's, strengthened box etc)?

Yeah it will be interesting indeed, it has as i recall an R180 rear end as it stands so rear end is fine, the engine will be getting a new short block that will be forged etc so that will be cool (would do that no matter what!) the weak part will be the box, but in saying that i did at least 12 tarmac rally's and a lot of hill climbs in my gc8 and never changed the box (i did have to do some syncro's though!)

so umm yeah, the engine will be beefed, the diff is ok, and we carry at least 2 spare boxes to each rally at the moment but in the future it MIGHT cop a six speed!