View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

catcha at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Server Engineer is a pretty generic term.... which is not Networking.

If you are looking down the TAFE path, there are a couple of networking based Certs/Diplomas that cover off server admin and CCNA (training for CCNA, you still need to go sit the exam externally). I would recommend eCentral. I started @ Swan Tafe before heading down the Uni path - probly would go eCentral if I had to do it all again.

Uniwise, Murdoch offers a degree (Internetworking & Security) that covers CCNA, CCNP and PIX/ASA.

Pretty sure ECU offers a networking based course. They also seem to have a good forensics / security department.

Although postgrad studies is $$

Your boss's response is bang on the money. Any business will always want to know how any training is going to contribute to your productivity - some may even request you to sign a disclaimer reimbursing costs if you leave within X amount of time. Why should they be sending you to a $X,000 course only for you to jump ship to another employer.
I just feel my boss is negative, well jump ship no have no need,improve my skills and understanding and keep up with current trends yes ITLL is one of the many I guess besides certification.trust me the federal gov waste so much money, it could be better gained by giving us training.

your right server engineers is a very broad term so broad that the ones I user to work for in CSG did everything, networking, AD accounts setup, change controls, router configuration.

But thanks for the recommendation for E central i will check out there web site