View Single Post
Old 16-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Aasa for sure, and I think cams also as that is the way the RA's were homologated! Besides who cares about targa west/cams!
Never homologated in group N with the 6 speed. Homologated in group A with the Hewland/Prodrive 6 speed but........
1/hideously expensive.
2/ must use the hideously expensive rear diff, pneumatic shift etc as well.
3/ If you enter as group A, you fall into M4 category and must also use the 34mm iar restrictor which more than negates any benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE View Post
I thought they relaxed the rules recently to allow these kinds of things including bigger STi turbo etc, could be wrong though.

Dougie should be up to speed with all the latest and greatest regs so ask him.
I maybe a year out of date with the set of regs I have, but basically here's how I see it in a nutshell.
Any event run in WA by the only people willing to run events here will be under CAMS. The AASA are as yet untested in their ability to protect event staff from personal legal attacks. CAMS has a long history of running events with a suitable level of insurance to prevent volunteer officials losing thier shirt if someone gets hurt or killed.

The CAMS tarmac rally rules are divided into Classic and Modern.
Classics are pre 1982.
Modern is post 1982

There are 4 levels of modification based on how fast the original road car does 0-100 km/h. The faster the original car the lower modification category permitted.

M1 is for very fast cars, the exotics and R35 GT-R etc. Anything with a 0-100 from 3.5 to 4.8 seconds. Any faster and they are not permitted at all.
Safety gear, ECU, exhaust to stock specs etc.

M2 is where the majority of turbo AWD cars are. WRX, WRX STi, Evolution Lancer etc. Still very tightly regulated. Must have a catalytic converter, must be heavy, ie; original car -10% + safety gear weight?? etc. Some formula that's quite heavy. Stock gearbox casing and ratios and engagement. Stock turbo, stock engine etc.

M3 allows for more freedoms but the car must be slower than 0-100 in 6.8 seconds to start with. So you can't enter a WRX or EVO in M3.

M4 is as per homoloation WRC or PRC rally car spec, but must also use the appropriate turbo inlet restrictor.
That's why you will see some WRX etc with dog box or 6 speed but they're no fun with the restrictor.