View Single Post
Old 24-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Guys, im so F*&^ing confused, is it a good build, to me it sounds rather nice, i should be able to get it a bit cheaper than that aswell, i have a friend looking after me

and im well aware that ill have to take it wasy on the gear box

have the day off work tomorrow and going to ring maximum motor sport, see what they have to offer
Rick, it is a fantastic bit of kit and would look good on any magazine blurb about your car. Fact of the matter is the cylinder walls of the block the pistons slide up and down in are too thin for more than modest amounts of boost (hence the end result of power). You can make it so the pistons, rings, conrods etc all take the punishment, but the limiting factor in the 2.5 motor is the design of the block itself. All hi-po 2.5's require sleeving to be able to translate high horsepower. Basically they router some of the cylinder walls away, heat the block up greater than it would see in an operational mode to expand it and smash in some strong sleeves. When the block cools back down, the sleeves are essentially locked into place and you have a better base to go on with. That's my (condensed) understanding of it anyway.

An expensive process and by no means does it garauntee reliability, but certainly you would have a longer living motor at xx psi of boost.