View Single Post
Old 14-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Karina.. this is how I look at it.

Use your current job to gain as many skills and as much experience as possible. Stay there for a minimum of 1 year... 3 is best.

Treat your CV like building blocks.. you want to show progression in each job so you can use it to get a better one. IMO that is by far the most responsible way to do things.

Mine goes like this.

1) Worked in a call centre for Telstra in Sales... (aquisition and retention)..
Skills obtained: Sales/Customer Services. 1.5 years
2) Used this experience to get a Sales Executive job for a freight company in New Zealand..
Skills obtained: Sales/Time management/people management (had sales support people reporting to me) had a company car/phone rah rah.. 3 years
3) Applied for an international Transfer to Australia.. moved into an area manager/tradelane manager specialty job.. ran a wholesale export service.. continued with sales and also learnt opperations/marketing etc etc.. 2 years.
4) Used these new skills to apply for a sales managers job:
Double the Pay... three people reporting to me.. more responsibility.. rate negotiations with carriers, marketing, overseas travel rah rah rah. (current job).
5) Will then use those skills to apply for the General managers position in another 2 years.

See what i mean.