Thread: Plasma / LCD TV
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2005, 05:23 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

I think plasmas in the past had a few issues with life expectancy. But all new plasmas generally have 60,000hr half lives which is the same as CRT's (Thats 7yrs if your watching it 24hrs a day).

If your plasma goes it's gone unlike a LCD where you can repair sections. But I figure by the time you need to repair a plasma (5 years + if your lucky) it'll be comparative to replacing a picture tube. The repair will cost more than just replacing the whole set with a new LCD. I’d say within three years a 42’ LCD will be around 1500 or less.

There are a ton of websites that compare plasmas to LCD's listing all the various pros & cons. Some say plasmas give a softer image which is more pleasant for viewing movies, where as LCD is too sharp (eg a computer screen). On the flip LCD's can be repaired & generally have a better image resolution & are normally slimmer.

Personally if you put two side by side I’d be struggling to pick the difference. The only reason I choose the plasma was price really... that & they also sound cool. But give it a year or two & plasma's will be all but dead as the price of LCD's falls.