View Single Post
Old 24-01-2012, 10:23 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

blackwrxwagon at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Lol @ RWD being a disaster waiting to happen.

All the best handling cars in the world are RWD (or have a RWD bias). Shit even STI put the DCCD in so you could have more rear action.

A FWD shitbox would be more of an issue when punted around (hello understeer into a tree).

Issue here is not the drive type, but how well the driver can drive for the car and conditions.
Lift off oversteer is alot more of an issue in a FWD than understeer - particularily to the average pleb

I think some here are forgetting that the driven wheels do not determine how fast a car can go around a corner, but instead how it puts the power down. You don't get more grip from an awd car, just more traction.

I started my P's in a fwd hatch, moved to an awd wrx when I was 19, then again to a turbo rwd car and a v8 rwd car at 20. I went from something that had ~100kw, to 307kw within 3 years, and I'm not dead, I didn't crash, simply because I entered in motorkhanas, skidpans and track days.

I managed to nearly lose my lic in my underpowered hatch, and actually haven't got a speeding ticket since I've changed to performance cars, as my attitude of a stupid P-plater that had to speed everywhere to be cool and have fun, has changed to an attitude of that if I get caught doing something stupid, I'll get raped by the big dick of the law, in both fines and yellow stickers (one of my cars is very illegal).

If I was in power, I'd ban high performance cars with a power/weight ratio of over x kw/tonne whilst on P-plates, and have mandatory driver training and skid pans to L and P platers. So that every 6-12 months you go and do another half day of driver training or a skidpan, to actually reinforce the understanding of how a car works.

I've also noticed with a large number of my mates, particularily girls, that they have no understanding of the basic principles of how a car actually works, such as how it brakes, how a gearbox or clutch works ect. For example - My girlfriend passed her driving test in a manual, did her 6 month/25hrs in her parents auto corrola, then bought a new suzuki swift manual, and realized she couldn't drive a manual - was stalling it at lights, couldn't hill start, had no idea what she was doing. It was because she was taught how to pass a test, not how to drive and how a car operates. Once she understood what a clutch was, what RPM actually meant and what the relationship between road speed, gear speed and engine speed was, she could actually drive properly, to the point where she's now able to heel-toe and change gears without a clutch.

Eductation, in my expierance, makes a massive difference to the attitude and quality of driver.
#26 E series HSV senator - bunky