View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Interesting that Rio will take people without any skills and train them for any task. Yet to meet anyone walk in the door and get that treatment. Everyone I have dealt with has had prior training or worked their way up in the company.

Might send in a CV and ask for the CEO position with training. I could do with a Lamborghini!
I don't know your experience in the industry, but IMO you're looking at this wrong. Minesites are not regular workplaces, they are high pressure and as a result suffer massive personnel turnover. Foremen do not have the luxury of picking and choosing, and they are under intense pressure to 'get the job done'.

The foreman is getting hammered by the client about not meeting production targets when his crews are turning over every 6-9 months. He doesn't give a toss what tickets someone holds, he just knows that there is a truck out on the 'go bay' that needs someone to drive it. A swing's training will make a semi-competant operator and that seat will be filled and he might just make his target.

It's not ideal, but that's just the way it is on many sites, especially the small-mid sized ones.