Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

daggyboy at standard level

A quick update.

Since the ECU reset on Monday the car continues to reach ~15psi.

On thing I have noticed is it seems a lot laggier. Is reaching 15psi say around 4000rpm but I don't notice any major pull/g-force until higher in the rev range say 6000rpm.

Prior to these issues it was quite the opposite. The car would move through the rev range super quick and most power was felt around 4000rpm.

Taking her back into ASG tomorrow so hopefully they'll nut it out.

Daz
Old 15-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Perhaps you've had a bad batch of fuel?

That would account for lagginess if the ecu is pulling timing due to detonation and possibly the limp mode issue.

Have you put any fresh fuel in it?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-04-2009, 09:42 PM

That was my original thought but I've been through about 4 tanks at least since I had the problem, mainly BP Ultimate and Caltex Vortex. Also used an injector cleaner / octane booster as a once off to see if that would help.

Does seem timing related. Knock issues? Last time I had a CEL was about 2 months ago, crank sensor from memory. Sometimes when flooring it I'll notice a very slight miss or 2 as it works through the rev range.

Daz
Old 15-04-2009, 09:44 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Your car is stock yeah? With your updated post around the lag and the stuttering and all that other shit, it does begin to sound like you've got issues with your turbo lines somewhere.

Anyway, let us know how you go tomorrow.

A long time ago i had a boot cut problem after Verso and after lots of logging and screwing around we noticed that a section of the wastegate lines were rubbing against my TMIC and had split.

Always good to put some fresh fuel in like Ross said, put some clean 98 in it from BP.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:47 PM

I know the early knock sensors were prone to cracking and giving false readings, I wonder if this could be a contributing factor?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Let me know how you get on, I'd be interested to know the cause.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:51 PM

RichX knows their stuff

I have done some reading around crank and cam angle sensors a few weeks ago. They are just a set of magnets basically and are unlikely to fail.

If your ECU is telling you there is an issue with them it's working checking them out as if they are damaged or dirty it will certainly cause you issues with cutting out, non-starting and random evilness as these sensors have a direct relationship with the timing on your motor.

Get ASG to check it out.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Yep car is quite stock. Only mods are the VERSO and an aftermarket BOV (was on the car prior to me buying it).

In regards to the wastegate lines MBCs have an impact on how these operate yes? Not that I have one but I do recall reading the MBCs can speed up the spool time? Earlier I mentioned that I removed a cracked plastic in-line joiner between the boost solenoid and the T-piece. There are mods that restrict this line even further using an in-line joiner with a smaller hole. There was an positive boost increase (as well as spiking) and I assume a change in wastegate pressure/spool up times...? (there's a link above regarding this).

EDIT - thinking about this further spool times seem okay and more of a timing issue...

Daz
Old 15-04-2009, 10:18 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Ross knows more than me around boost controllers, but if you've been Verso'd then if there were any issues there originally the retune should have ironed all that out as your boost is controlled via the ECU like my car.

I think there is a gain setting on the boost controllers which can increase/decrease how the car comes on boost but not really sure about that, Ross? At the end of the day you should just have the stock lines on your TD04 with the restrictor pill in there.

As far as i know, the only thing which should be inside the lines around the turbo is the brass pill, there shouldn't be anything else in there which could potentially cause problems with boost control.

I'm out of my depth in regard to whether or not timing/boost gain and what not are connected somehow, ASG are the best bet.

I would say though, if the car is stuttering/hestitating badly then it's unlikely to be a boost control issue, but the fact that it's coming feeling like it's really under-perfoming boost wise could indicate there may be more than one issue at play.

Last edited by RichX; 15-04-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:33 PM

The bad stuttering/hesistating disappeared a few weeks back after another visit to the workshop.

The car drives pretty smooth at the moment and the idle has improved since the lines were replaced and the ECU reset. Main prob now is the delay/lag and some very slight power cuts (or knocks) through out the rev range.

Before I could accelerate through corners, roundabouts etc and really feel the car gripping with heaps of power/torque at lower-mod revs. Now I put my foot down and the car does does nothing until about 20metres after the corner LOL.

Daz

Tags
boost, full, reaching