Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Is there such thing as decent CHEAP coilovers? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/57306-there-such-thing-decent-cheap-coilovers.html)

dnbosiris 29-01-2014 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;785903]If you can't afford some decent new coilovers (ie $2500 +) or if you can't find some quality ones (eg Tein SS, KW V3, DMS 40, G4's) second hand in good nick, then you are better off getting something along the lines of some decent low springs (Eibach, H&R etc) with Koni adjustable dampers and maybe camber tops if you want. I suggest you chat to John Fowler (John Fowler Autosports) on 0416 105 911.[/QUOTE]

What benefits does running negative camber give you with those adjustable tops?

DukeDrifter 29-01-2014 10:52 AM

Better handling, so when you corner your outside tyres level out to ideally as flat as possible giving the tyre a larger contact area.

dnbosiris 29-01-2014 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=DukeDrifter;785916]Better handling, so when you corner your outside tyres level out to ideally as flat as possible giving the tyre a larger contact area.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, so essentially larger contact Area = better grip going fast around corners?
Wouldnt you get more wear on the inside of the tyre with normal driving?

DukeDrifter 29-01-2014 11:01 AM

Correct, yeah you would but it all depends on how aggressive your set up is, swapping front and rear tyres will also slow down uneven wear as generally the front has more negative camber.

Riggs 29-01-2014 11:12 AM

I have a set on Cusco Zero 2Rs for sale, have GC & GD top hats to suit.

mitchwnz 29-01-2014 11:16 AM

I had this same problem when looking to upgrade my suspension. The conclusion, cheap coilovers destroy the car as a daily (usually) STD's, HSD's tend to be spine killers. I've had HSD's before and the ride was harsh, and they were set up initially by Soksta who wouldn't do something in a rush. I vote go with STI Pink springs, and unless you're willing to spend decent cash and invest in quality coilovers don't skint. I have KW V3's in my STI and the ride is very good, plus on the track the car is amazing.

dnbosiris 29-01-2014 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;785922] cheap coilovers destroy the car as a daily (usually) STD's, HSD's tend to be spine killers. [/QUOTE]

This!

pmh 29-01-2014 12:26 PM

most coilovers aren't really design for Oz roads
so the ride quality can be a little harsh

Teins which are "adjusted" for local conditions is a good alternative for coilovers - fulcrum in QLD are the primary distributors of this but you're looking at $1200 for a set

mitchwnz 29-01-2014 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=pmh;785932]most coilovers aren't really design for Oz roads
so the ride quality can be a little harsh

Teins which are "adjusted" for local conditions is a good alternative for coilovers - fulcrum in QLD are the primary distributors of this but you're looking at $1200 for a set[/QUOTE]

That is cheap considering I paid around 3k for KW's

teejay 29-01-2014 01:46 PM

Meh I used to run JIC Japanese coilovers off a track car... harder than a teenage boy after a viagre over dose... just man up