Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Heat wrap (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/5873-heat-wrap.html)

waxdass 08-09-2008 04:52 PM

well thats my plan, but the guy at performance & industrial coatings said that he doesnt think its a great idea - due to not allowing sufficient area for the metal to "breath" - ie; heat and up and cool down.

He said even tho it gets coated , by keeping the heat in the pipe long and not allowing it to escape somewhere leeds to cracking.

not sure how true this is.

Kato 08-09-2008 05:07 PM

Sounds a bit BS to me. If the pipes are not coated and just wrapped, whats the difference? Same amount of 'breathing' will happen. Having steel heat up and cool down would cause more fatigue (or emphasise areas) than just keeping it hot all the time.

Either way, just means a bit of welding later on :D

waxdass 08-09-2008 05:41 PM

i think i'm gonna take ur call on this professor

wrx oh oh 08-09-2008 06:56 PM

The guy at performance & industrial coatings is giving the correct advice but the reason is wrong.
If you wrap you add ugliness and cost and get no benefit. Wrapping increases corrosion risk due to moisture retention which the smooth coated surface avoids. Do not use the DIY spray-on from supercheap. Proper coating is a mix of materials and at least two layers and needs some skill to do it right. One layer is a heat conductor to promote heat transfer along the pipe and reduce fracture risk due to heat stresses. Wrapping makes this worse as temperatures and temp differences are higher. The outer layer is a heat insulator, or more correctly, a low heat radiation material, much thinner than a wrap but much more effective. If you want to spend a bit more do the inside as well. To get best benefit the coating is different.

waxdass 08-09-2008 07:13 PM

the headers have been coated professionally already.
if i wrap, they would be coated with the appropriate silicon spray, to avoid moisture.

jEstEr? 09-09-2008 01:29 PM

People always say wrapping will make your pipes rust... headers can reach 700+ degrees, how does that trap in moisture?

foxey 09-09-2008 02:04 PM

I know when I drive through a puddle and the headers get wet I have steam rising from the engine bay, so I'm with Matt, I'm not really sure how it can promote rust when the headers and wrap get that hot. Plus, if they were coated before hand, the bare metal would not be exposed to the moisture anyway. Also, it's stainless steel.....

waxdass 09-09-2008 02:27 PM

its not so much the affect of moisture(if any), its got to do with the effect of constsnt heating and cooling, due to the propeties of stainless steal, it may lead to small cracks.
The argument seems that somehow the wrapping makes the heating & cooling differences worse - possibly by having un-even wrapping/thickness etc at different parts of the pipes, which would lead to some spots hotter and others.

Strubaru 09-09-2008 02:45 PM

if you have them coated why bother wrapping them aswell? the heat will be held inside the pipe by the ceramic coating rendering the wrapping useless

RUSSGT 09-09-2008 03:07 PM

Also i have heard that the pipes get alot hotter with the wrap. I dont know exactly. I would like to see some pipes after a year or so with the wrap taken off!