Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

rocker21 at standard level
Default Your Carbon Footprint

Was reading a recent "Time" magazine the other day with an article entitled:
"The Global Warming Surivival Guide - 51 Things You Can Do To Make A Difference"

It lists all kinds of things that we can all do to make a difference. Things such as buying vintage clothes rather than new ones, carpooling, using public transport, supporting green companies etc etc.

It even suggests moving to a smaller house. It gives an example of a former art professor living in a house just 9.3sq metres, because he felt guilty about the size of his residential carbon footprint.

As this issue becomes more and more important as it has over the last few years, I am beginning to think that perhaps owning a turbocharged car, or a car at all for that matter is rather selfish of me.

Thoughts ?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

i live in an apartment, don't drive a turbo car (yet), I catch public transport & walk to work everyday. I'm doing my bit...
Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level

I remember being at home during the Earth Hour few weeks back thinking to myself...

'ok so people will turn off their light and anything that uses electricity to make the most of this earth hour, but what happens next...they get bored and go for a drive...kind of defeats the purpose...'

i know not everyone will have gone for a drive but i would say majority...

Not to mention Burnout King the following Friday...
Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV
i live in an apartment, don't drive a turbo car (yet), I catch public transport & walk to work everyday. I'm doing my bit...
I drive a gas guzzler 100kms a day, use full flush and 6 ply toilet paper, leave the tap on when i brush my teeth, wash my car on the pavement, eat lots of meat and drink water from fresh plastic bottles.

I think we balance out quite nicely, cheers kym!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

hope I'm not the only conspiracy theorist on here.

What about if the inventions said to have been invented and then been buried by 'The Man' (not Mundine, ya goose ), were actually to appear in society? I'm talking about the engine that runs on H2O and the like. Imagine an engine that emits ZERO harmful gas. That could benift our crippled atmosphere no end I imagine.
*wouldn't it be nice if the world was Cadbury...............................*
Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If someone could ever give me definitive facts that by a few people in Australia turning their lights off will effect anything, then I might be interested. Sure I do what I can when I can do it, but go have a look at what the small scale industry is doing in Perth.

Then imagine what is happening in large scale industry around the world.

Switching off a light isn't going to stop all the pollution from deforrestation and the massive factories of the world.

Also, driving a 2L 4 cylinder turbo car is good! Go to America and see all the 8L V8's and the like cruising around.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Bugga that. For every earth loving scientest that says we're killing the earth and we need to stop, theres another somewhere that says hes full of shit and the earth would warm like it is whether we were here or not. I side with the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker21
Things such as buying vintage clothes rather than new ones, carpooling, using public transport, supporting green companies etc etc.
I enjoy new clothes, i like looking good, i shall buy new clothes cos i can afford to. I like driving, so people can jump in with me, but they're gonna need to pay for if they wanna do it often. I will use public transport very rarely, as its dirty and crowded - i like my clean car. Im happy to support green companies, but im not going to go out of my way to seek one over a non-green company. As it stands, the Government is forcing most companies to be green anyways.

Quote:
It even suggests moving to a smaller house. It gives an example of a former art professor living in a house just 9.3sq metres, because he felt guilty about the size of his residential carbon footprint.
I like big expensive houses. I like fancy lights, houses so big they need elevators, and all the expensive equipment inside these houses. Im not going to live in a tiny shit box just to keep the greenies happy.

Quote:
As this issue becomes more and more important as it has over the last few years, I am beginning to think that perhaps owning a turbocharged car, or a car at all for that matter is rather selfish of me.
And finally, i like my cars. I refuse to drive a Toyota Prius. Nothing more to say on that one.

I know a lot of people dont think like i do, but i know a lot of people do too. Think what you will, but i like my lifestyle.

Yes i drive a non-turbo car, but not my choice. Turbo Powah!!

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Scoobie Noobie

rocker21 at standard level

Cheers for picking my post appart and giving a slightly smart assed answer to each sentence..
Beleive it or not i too look particulary sharp all the time and enjoy littering and eating meat while hooning around...
I just dont see how it is possibly sustainable.

I saw a documentary on sbs the other day...claiming if we divided all the resources in the world into "global hectares"...Each person would be allowed about 1.8. On average including all the shitty countries....we currently use 2.2 each..

Amercicans use close to 10 each, europeans around 7. I think Australians are somewhere in between.

I think the argument that "the earth would warm like it is whether we were here or not" is pretty much disproven..

And even if it is not. I think its clear that western countries are consuming resources at an unacceptable rate.
Its like saying "I can eat as much chocolate as I like because I have infinite chocolate"...Its still a bad idea even if you dont run out.

Im not planning on running out to sell my car or move anytime soon. And I sure as hell dont plan on wearing 2nd hand clothes....But I wonder at what point are we going to have to start?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

After we are dead and buried
Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Cheers for picking my post appart and giving a slightly smart assed answer to each sentence..
Beleive it or not i too look particulary sharp all the time and enjoy littering and eating meat while hooning around...
I just dont see how it is possibly sustainable.

I saw a documentary on sbs the other day...claiming if we divided all the resources in the world into "global hectares"...Each person would be allowed about 1.8. On average including all the shitty countries....we currently use 2.2 each..

Amercicans use close to 10 each, europeans around 7. I think Australians are somewhere in between.

I think the argument that "the earth would warm like it is whether we were here or not" is pretty much disproven..

And even if it is not. I think its clear that western countries are consuming resources at an unacceptable rate.
Its like saying "I can eat as much chocolate as I like because I have infinite chocolate"...Its still a bad idea even if you dont run out.

Im not planning on running out to sell my car or move anytime soon. And I sure as hell dont plan on wearing 2nd hand clothes....But I wonder at what point are we going to have to start?
If in my lifetime something dramatic happens where i am forced to change my lifestyle, then so be it, i will. But im not going to sit there and think "if only i'd done more to prevent this". Stuff that, i'll be thinking "such is life". The current circumstances dont dictate that i have to change my lifestyle, so im not going to.

As for my previous post being a smart arse response - quite possibly, but it was also an honest response. As i said, some may agree, some may not. If you dont - teaspoon of cement, harden the fuck up.

That is all.

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt

Tags
carbon, footprint