Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Poncha at standard level

Back on topic, I'm a 6th year eng (mech)/comm double at UWA. Did my 3rd year project with UWAM (carbon fibre chassis work), did previous non-academic work with the team, and considered doing my thesis with UWAM.

As mentioned previously, if you're willing to spend pretty much all your time with the team (i.e. sacrificing some units and spending all your spare time there), it's a friggin rewarding experience. But it's really a lifestyle choice.
It's why I decided not to continue with the team.

If you're really into your motorsport at a technical design/manufacture level, and keen for a thesis that is much more hands on than anything else on offer at UWA, go for it mate.

Curtin's F-SAE team has nothing on UWA, as demonstrated (and mentioned) by UWAM's successes. The drive and motivation to do well and live up to the rep of UWAM is immense.

As for the UWA/Curtin eng degree debate, it really means bugger all at the end of the day. I used to think (and still do somewhat) that UWA is better than Curtin, but it's really only in the name. It's much more dependent on how YOU carry yourself, your skills and personality that comes across to employers (as I've experienced).

Coming out of an eng degree, it's all the same in that we know bugger all relating to being an engineer in industry.

So I reckon for the sake of your thesis (in doing something you'll really enjoy), do it

(Really sorry for the rant :P)
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 PM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexter
enjoy 2nd year mate, got the warman comp coming up, man thats a bitch to do.

Need any advice with any subject, give me a shout
Warman comp??
Thanks mate I might take you up on that later
Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 AM
STI Master

Wrexter at standard level

No worries,

do you have 'strength of materials' or 'mechanical design' this semester?

you do it in one of those subjects, which ever your doing this semester i think, it always changes.

Anyways its an australia wide university design competition endorsed by wier warman pumps

you basically get into a group and design and build a mechanism that does the things outlined in the competitoin rules.

eg. we had to build a little rover that could go forward 5 meters, then turn left adn go for 5 more meters and stop. at the sam time it had to throw little balls into designated areas on its left and right.

its fun but if u get a shitty group it bad and can ruin your other grades as u spend hours and hours on it,.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexter
No worries,

do you have 'strength of materials' or 'mechanical design' this semester?

you do it in one of those subjects, which ever your doing this semester i think, it always changes.

Anyways its an australia wide university design competition endorsed by wier warman pumps

you basically get into a group and design and build a mechanism that does the things outlined in the competitoin rules.

eg. we had to build a little rover that could go forward 5 meters, then turn left adn go for 5 more meters and stop. at the sam time it had to throw little balls into designated areas on its left and right.

its fun but if u get a shitty group it bad and can ruin your other grades as u spend hours and hours on it,.
Yeah I'm doing "Strength of Materials".
Oh yeah sounds pretty cool, I'll start looking into it.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
STI Master

Wrexter at standard level

just dont do what i did.

my group did fuck all and i did everything from design to fabrication, ended up effecting my other classes and grades.

Tags
curtin, uwa