Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Scoobie Noobie

plusone at standard level
Send a message via MSN to plusone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
Anyway to increase this value further.
eat more

simple as it sounds that is probably what is holding you back. I find sites like myfitnesspal really good as you can track your diet and training really well, once you have your macros sorted its a no brainer. They even have generic settings for, say, gain 2lbs per week.

i usually like to eat pretty clean, but if you are lucky enough to have good genetics or metabolism and all you want is size then just eat shitloads....nothing wrong with having steak for breakfast!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

matthews at standard level

Good work to you all. Loosing weight is often the easy part. Keeping it off is hard. I have lost 5kg (93-88)in the last few months and on Saturday once again line up for the Busselton 70.3 half ironman. Been doing long hours riding and running so trying to keep the weight off after next week will be a challenge.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Weight loss hasn't been huge, couple of kilos, but the mass is increasing whilst waist measurements are decreasing.

I blame beer ... As I don't eat anything sweet like biscuits or chocolate, I don't drink soft drinks, and my diet is about as organic and healthy as you can get including two to three seafood/fish meals a week. However, I am hungry almost all the time now and I have even resorted to eating breakfasts which I haven't done in nearly 15 years.

In the end I'm stoked that post sessions recovery time is almost non existent and I'm putting in longer and longer cardio sessions before Burke gets to torture me. Today was 40 minutes on the treadmill at 5.5Km/h averaging 6 degree incline and then 30 minutes on the weights. Just got back and looking for food

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 08-05-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SmittyB at standard level

Quote:
Im going the opposite way to you guys trying to stack lean weight on.

Ive gone from 63.5kg around 12 weeks ago to 71kg. Still at similar fat levels as to where i was 63.5kg.

I have cut out alot of cardio and focuss on heavy weights 5 days a week for different muscle groups.

Ive been having 3 shakes a day of around 600 calories (1800 per day) each plus around 2000 calories of good food.

I am wanting to get to around 75-80kg lean muscle, but my weight increase is now much slower i.e 1kg in 2 weeks.

Just my 2cents for what its worth.

Having been on both ends of the scale here, when I was 20 I was 98kgs (27% BF) and extremely unfit. I started training and eating clean and over 6months got down to 77kgs (11% BF).
I maintained this for a few years before deciding I wanted to be stronger, however due to my metabolic rate being fairly high due to my lifestyle of the previous years this was proving difficult. I am fairly lucky to have access to some very knowledgeable people at work with regards to this. So we came up with the right balance of cardio (as I love running) and weights plus a HUGE meal plan to achieve this.
So I began eating close to 4500 calories a day. I didnt count calories to the letter, just rough estimate using serving sizes etc. I generally aimed for 3-4 servings of fruit, 6-8 serving of vegetables, 100g of nuts, 2-3 serves of lean meats, and 6 serves of grains (bread, rice, cereal etc). I was also using protein powder on my cereal and would have a post workout shake as well. This got me to 86kgs (@14% BF) which is where I currently am today.
Unfortunately this type of eating is expensive as the healthier the food the higher the price tag.
The problem with "dieting" is they end. Whether you are trying to lose or gain weight. Lifestyle changes is what makes the difference. Diets are great for fast weight loss, one thing that I was told when I started losing weight that stuck was "the faster you lose it, the faster it comes back". 1kg a week is the limit of healthy weight loss. This gives your skin the ability to adjust with your weight also, unfortunately in some cases you'll end up with loose skin regardless.

Sorry just realised I went off on a bit of a rant, I am quite passionate about the fitness lifestyle.

To answer your question Trainwrex, like what was mentioned, eat more, eat clean, depending on your BMR will determine exactly how much you need. Increase by 600 calories a day, if after a few weeks you find that's too much or too little adjust accordingly. Keep your cardio sessions short and sharp. Guerilla Cardio or Tabata sessions work great for maintaining muscle as they are short High intensity workouts, where as long low intensity workouts burn muscle (compare a 100m sprinter to a marathon runner). In saying that if you enjoy long runs as I do just carbo load up prior or do them first thing in the morning before you have eaten when your glycogen levels are low.

Happy to offer more info if anyone wants. I've gone on for long enough
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:

Ive gone from 63.5kg around 12 weeks ago to 71kg. Still at similar fat levels as to where i was 63.5kg.

I have cut out alot of cardio and focuss on heavy weights 5 days a week for different muscle groups.

Ive been having 3 shakes a day of around 600 calories (1800 per day) each plus around 2000 calories of good food.

I am wanting to get to around 75-80kg lean muscle, but my weight increase is now much slower i.e 1kg in 2 weeks.

If you've put on 8kg in 3 months, just keep doing what you're doing. gains are going to plateau but thats a fact of life. If anything dont be scared to put on a bit of fat as its going to be easier to put on a bit of muscle, just drop the fat prior to summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Weight loss hasn't been huge, couple of kilos, but the mass is increasing whilst waist measurements are decreasing.

I blame beer ... As I don't eat anything sweet like biscuits or chocolate, I don't drink soft drinks, and my diet is about as organic and healthy as you can get including two to three seafood/fish meals a week. However, I am hungry almost all the time now and I have even resorted to eating breakfasts which I haven't done in nearly 15 years.

In the end I'm stoked that post sessions recovery time is almost non existent and I'm putting in longer and longer cardio sessions before Burke gets to torture me. Today was 40 minutes on the treadmill at 5.5Km/h averaging 6 degree incline and then 30 minutes on the weights. Just got back and looking for food
Andrew, I think the biggest win for you right now is that you are actually healthier. all the aesthetic benefits will come later, especially once the muscale gain tapers and you see the results on the scales. The fact that people are noticing that you've lost weight is the biggest indicator but mentally everyone loves to see the scales move.
You have come along way, your sessions are by no means easy as I want to maintain my cunt reputation and you get through it, plus the extra that you do. Your heart and lungs will be loving you for it, the fact that I've banned you from any ciggies prior to our training sessions and you obliging is a credit to your dedication to the cause. Have come a long way from the sissy weights and 10 ab crunches custard guts.

ahhh, memories.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM

I knew some how that photo was going to haunt me ...

Just for you mate ...
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
If you've put on 8kg in 3 months, just keep doing what you're doing. gains are going to plateau but thats a fact of life. If anything dont be scared to put on a bit of fat as its going to be easier to put on a bit of muscle, just drop the fat prior to summer.

Andrew, I think the biggest win for you right now is that you are actually healthier. all the aesthetic benefits will come later, especially once the muscale gain tapers and you see the results on the scales. The fact that people are noticing that you've lost weight is the biggest indicator but mentally everyone loves to see the scales move.
You have come along way, your sessions are by no means easy as I want to maintain my cunt reputation and you get through it, plus the extra that you do. Your heart and lungs will be loving you for it, the fact that I've banned you from any ciggies prior to our training sessions and you obliging is a credit to your dedication to the cause. Have come a long way from the sissy weights and 10 ab crunches custard guts.

ahhh, memories.
nice ass...
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

80kg would look silly on you Tino. You're only 4"11. Taller than Jaron however.

Great work Dave and Andrew! Andrew you still smoke?
V3 RA and XT43 like this.

http://kap.industries/
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Great work Dave and Andrew! Andrew you still smoke?
Sadly Russ ... was off the fags for a long time but went back to the devil.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Quote:

500g muscle gain a week is pretty close to peak for natty building Tino. Won't see much more than that even under optimal conditions I.e perfect nutrition and absolutely killing it 5 or 6 days a week in the gym, good sleep etc etc.

JDM version 3 STi RA

Tags
do you even lift? srsly, fitness, health, wellbeing