Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level
Default net restriction software

ok i need some software i can out on couple computers which i can only have setup access to via password. and be able to block all internet access except for the designated sites i allow.
so if i put a link to a site or be able to allow to sites i say and thats it. and maybe let certain programs get net like virus updates and any third party program that may require net access. i need it for monday any help would be good.

cheers

Tim
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Flat Four Father

somthing to watch history as well..
Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

Worth a try...

http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/index.php?page=5

Then point IE to use the proxy on the local machine. Anyone with half a clue
could get their way around it. But if your test rats are not computer savvy
then you are on a winner.

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Flat Four Father

haha yeah they arnt though.. looks hard to set up lol
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Most routers are able to block sites and it may even log the website to the routers log.

I know my billion does it.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Flat Four Father

i just downloaed net nanny.. seems to work ok i just have to go through and set it up with sites etc.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

Doesn't IE allow you to do that as is? I'm not being smart.. I'm actually not sure but I think it does.

As long as the user dones't have rights to change the settings you can go into internet options. There you can set trusted & restricted sites, you'd also be able to make a custom 'internet settings' profile. In there you can restrict activex controls, downloading ect.

But if nanny is doing the job...
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Tuned
Doesn't IE allow you to do that as is? I'm not being smart.. I'm actually not sure but I think it does.

As long as the user dones't have rights to change the settings you can go into internet options. There you can set trusted & restricted sites, you'd also be able to make a custom 'internet settings' profile. In there you can restrict activex controls, downloading ect.

But if nanny is doing the job...
you are 100% Correct.... but who uses crappy internet explorer these days.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

HA, your such an IT snob.

Get this right... for the last month I've been building this PC. First mistake I make is buying the stuff at a cheaper price from over east. Firstly the mainboard is faulty, won't boot. So I post it back at my cost, then it turns out the RAM's also faulty, fails mem tests.

So then I pay to send that back & then buy some expensive shit here to make sure it's not a compatibility issue with generic stuff.

Load windows, thinking yeah I'm on the home stretch. Now it's doing fkn crazy shit that makes no sense... programs shut down with no errors, programs won’t load... what spins me out is that a program like ABC seems to freeze but is still responsive. So all the stats are just still... "downloading at 114kb, eta 3hrs".. just sits there frozen. Then you stop one of the torrents & restart it and it jolts it back to working again. It's just weird.

Anyway point is I spent 4 hrs yesterday installing, loading drivers, setting up outlook with all the accounts, configuring all the BT clients... now I have to do it all over. This geek shit fkn breaks your heart sometimes... I have better shit to do with my time.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Tuned
HA, your such an IT snob.

Get this right... for the last month I've been building this PC. First mistake I make is buying the stuff at a cheaper price from over east. Firstly the mainboard is faulty, won't boot. So I post it back at my cost, then it turns out the RAM's also faulty, fails mem tests.

So then I pay to send that back & then buy some expensive shit here to make sure it's not a compatibility issue with generic stuff.

Load windows, thinking yeah I'm on the home stretch. Now it's doing fkn crazy shit that makes no sense... programs shut down with no errors, programs won’t load... what spins me out is that a program like ABC seems to freeze but is still responsive. So all the stats are just still... "downloading at 114kb, eta 3hrs".. just sits there frozen. Then you stop one of the torrents & restart it and it jolts it back to working again. It's just weird.

Anyway point is I spent 4 hrs yesterday installing, loading drivers, setting up outlook with all the accounts, configuring all the BT clients... now I have to do it all over. This geek shit fkn breaks your heart sometimes... I have better shit to do with my time.

i know your pain.. i also just built a new pc recently and had problems with types of memory new core duo chips and bloody 8 pin cpu power instead of 4 now and all sorts problems.. 1 ide port instead of two. cd rom drives not showing up it almost brings u to tears.

Tags
net, restriction, software