Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level
Default US Lenses

Firstly Sorry for starting so many threads...

Just a thought...since the AUS dollar has been very strong against the US one, I thought about purchasing lens/lenses from the US and saving myself a few bucks, anyone done this before?? Websites/places you can recommend?

For instance:

100-400mm IS L lens costs around $1500 US which is around AUS$1650 at the moment. Stu wants $2.5k for it so I'm thinking i could grab myself a bargain here if only i knew which place to choose...still $1650 is a lot of money and dont want to risk it with somebody i cant trust

Last edited by pete gopal; 17-07-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 17-07-2007, 12:36 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DGSWRX at standard level

As long as it is legit your ok worlkd wide warranty with lenses so a bit of a bonus, camera is a diff story but had people from my work buy plenty of stuff from there and had no issue.
Old 17-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

Have you talked to Stu about the Warrenty issues? becuase I bought my 100-400L off him and he told me somthing about the warrenty but I cant remember haha Im fairly certain that if somthing happens to the lens it will have to be sent to the US which would take a while.......
Old 17-07-2007, 01:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

rspct at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear
Have you talked to Stu about the Warrenty issues? becuase I bought my 100-400L off him and he told me somthing about the warrenty but I cant remember haha Im fairly certain that if somthing happens to the lens it will have to be sent to the US which would take a while.......
Pretty sure that is only for the camera body. Lenses have a worldwide warranty. I quote from Canon Aus:

Quote:
3. Subject to paragraph 4, this warranty is valid only for Products that are purchased new and unused in Australia or New Zealand from Canon Australia Pty Ltd, Canon New Zealand Ltd or a reseller authorised by either of those companies. The Customer must provide the original proof of purchase from one those organisations to receive any services under this warranty.
Quote:
4. Canon offers an international warranty on non-digital Canon compact cameras, non-digital Canon SLR camera bodies, Canon lenses for all SLR cameras, Canon Speedlites and Canon photographic accessories only. If travelling overseas, the Customer may receive warranty service for those Products on these terms from members of the Canon Camera International Service Network. A list of those members is enclosed with the Product. The Customer must present this warranty card and the original proof of purchase to receive warranty service.
Maybe just give Canon aus an email asking "I have a lens which I purchased whilst overseas, am I able to get it serviced under warranty here?". Always good to have it from the horses mouth
Old 17-07-2007, 02:27 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

why not meet halfway ;

http://nightgroove.com.au/product_in...products_id=52

i dont even know what lens your talkin about haha im a dlsr nooB!
Old 17-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

yeah you gotta be carfull buying on the Internet alot of that gear is grey imports and doesnt have the full warranty.
Old 17-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

GREXS at standard level

and be carefull with the custom. Last time I bought Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 via ebay and got stung by custom at the end.

About the warranty, I dun think you have to worry that much since it's an "L" lens which means quality is a lot better than kit lens / non L series.
Old 17-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREXS
and be carefull with the custom. Last time I bought Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 via ebay and got stung by custom at the end.
Stung or paid what you were legally supposed to ?
Old 18-07-2007, 08:04 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
Stung or paid what you were legally supposed to ?
ROFL when it comes to tax and duties is there any other word apart from Stung/ripped off to describe it !!!!

Tags
lenses