Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 09:00 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
It will be interesting to see how this project goes for reliablity to either prove or disprove the 'myths' of Subaru driveline strength.

I know my GD 5 speed took a hell of a load of punishment and just kept asking for more. There was no need for a 6 speed. R160 shafts didn't bust either, but I wasn't pushing bulk power.

For the motor side, is it an EJ255 in the WRX compared to a EJ257 in the STI? And is that like the EJ205 being open deck and the EJ207 being semi closed deck? I'm not sure if that has changed in the new models.

Fatboy, is there anything on the driveline you would want to upgrade prior to competition (R180's, strengthened box etc)?

Yeah it will be interesting indeed, it has as i recall an R180 rear end as it stands so rear end is fine, the engine will be getting a new short block that will be forged etc so that will be cool (would do that no matter what!) the weak part will be the box, but in saying that i did at least 12 tarmac rally's and a lot of hill climbs in my gc8 and never changed the box (i did have to do some syncro's though!)

so umm yeah, the engine will be beefed, the diff is ok, and we carry at least 2 spare boxes to each rally at the moment but in the future it MIGHT cop a six speed!
Old 29-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Curious to know what benefits you see there being of the 2.5L over a EJ207 + twinscroll?

Also how does the built motor go in the regulations as I know there is a lot of crap between the AASA and CAMS run targa events. For instance, can you use STI heads, intercooler, turbo etc on a WRX?
Old 29-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Nice. The 255 is the same block as the sti but just has cast pistons instead of hyperoweifjqiowefwegfief whatever. So its semi closed. I would be inclined to close deck it and also sleave it.

My 5 speed copped it pretty hard to and was fine! As where shafts.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:44 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Curious to know what benefits you see there being of the 2.5L over a EJ207 + twinscroll?

Also how does the built motor go in the regulations as I know there is a lot of crap between the AASA and CAMS run targa events. For instance, can you use STI heads, intercooler, turbo etc on a WRX?
It really is much of a muchness, i went the 2.5l for torque without the high boost (reliability) but if i could have a 2.5l twinscroll that would be perfect (but it would be stretching the friendship a bit hard with the rules)

Yes you can use forged internals and it will have no impact on rules at all, but you tend to find a lot of the evo guys run 2.3's and get away with it (but a couple have been pinged but mainly if they win!)

I am stretching the rules with some things but won't go as far as to outright cheat so twinscroll might not be an option!
Old 23-07-2010, 10:08 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

A few more parts have arrived over the last week or so, a hell of a lot of boring bits but some but a couple of thing i will post up are the seats (bought from evlgurl at searls) i know some of you might say why didn't you by winged seats, and the short answer is i was uncomfortable in them! my user name on here is not exactly elusive so i had to go for traditional seats!

Please note this is not their final mounting position lol

Today i got a parcel from TNT and my prized posetions have arrived from QLD, i have wanted a set of Proflex since the day i started racing and have always settled on DMS50's for shear cost but now i finally have a set of shocks made by the legendary Murray Coote!

For those of you that have no idea about MCA suspention they are custom built for each customer by Murray and have been the proven winner in tarmac, gravel, cuircut and even drift!

God i am excited!
Old 27-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Sweet! Looks fantastic! Please post some pics of stripped betty!
Old 27-07-2010, 11:45 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

It is partially stripped now, Tuna came and gave a hand pulling the interior out (so he could have said interior)

I will post pics as i need to take photos for another thread!
Old 27-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Subscribed!

This is going to be awesome!
Old 27-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Looking good dude...

and LOL @ Stace rocking up, ready to grab a bargain!

There is nothing that man hasnt pulled apart/retrofitted/improved/ on these cars!

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-07-2010, 01:07 PM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
Looking good dude...

and LOL @ Stace rocking up, ready to grab a bargain!

There is nothing that man hasnt pulled apart/retrofitted/improved/ on these cars!

Brent.

He did seem like a wealth of knowledge, much more than poor ol me who has no real interest in a lot of this type of stuff (i just want to drive, nothing else!)

Tags
build, car, fatboy, rally, tarmac